A Women’s Pregnancy Center (AWPC) was incorporated in Tallahassee, Florida, in 1985 as a non-profit, tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization to address the critical needs of unplanned pregnancies. AWPC’s founders envisioned a means of providing a safe and confidential environment for women facing crisis pregnancies, as well as a place to help equip families to care for their children.
We saw our first client in February of 1986 at our first location on 5th Avenue near Monroe Street. AWPC served the community for the longest period in our history, from 1988 to 2000, at 1225 Miccosukee Road. We were then located on Betton Road for one year and Magnolia Drive for four years. In 2005 the Lord blessed us with our current location, 919 West Pensacola Street. AWPC remains a local, non-profit corporation that ministers directly to women and families in crisis. AWPC has its own board that is responsible for governing ministry operations and establishing an independent budget.
In 2007 and 2008 we joined with people in Madison and Marianna, respectively, to bolster existing pregnancy centers. They quickly garnered the support of local churches and were off and running.
In 2010 the Madison and Marianna centers incorporated individually as their own separate entities. We consider ourselves a confederation of centers, sharing information and resources as they are available.